CONSIDERATIONS FOR A DISCRETIONARY BAG (DB)
There is nothing cooler and expensive than a well stocked bug out bag. But, as I continue to learn this prepping craft, I don’t see priority in the bug out concept. I understand it from the, “I’m single living in an apartment in Burbank, CA”, but not from the mission of “bugging in”. The second coolest pack-crack is the “everyday carry” or EDC. Here’s my problem with the EDC, I can’t stroll into a corporate environment everyday with an olive drab EDC and continue to get paid. Does this mean I’m out of the prepper culture? Somehow, I’ve just revealed I’m the antithesis of a prepper but still believe that the end is near and preparedness is the only insurance policy that will actually payout when the SHTF. Ironic because I’ve been paying into massive insurance policies for decades and probably won’t see it secure my family. Finger’s still crossed for retirement accounts!
I want to share my hybrid idea of personal functionality called a, “Discretionary Bag”. The DB is a fully functional EDC but not carried everyday. First, admission, I have already strategically relocated my immediate family to an optimal zone so some luxuries I’m afforded. I don’t need an EDC. I have designed my DB as something I grab when:
- I’m going to be farther away from base than 10 miles
- Uncertainty in daily Intel exists
- I’m visiting a community event or location where people congregate
- Severe weather is expected
- Hair on my neck is up
- Someone reported seeing a zombie
I won’t bore you with the norms like multi-tools, knives, a compact firearm and band aids, but I will share that my DB is more tech than weaponized. Some of the items I count on are:
- Bland tablet to hack into any WiFi network I can find
- Designed radio to ping my tribe leaders and geo locate each other
- Stored power for all tech assets
- Secured emergency channels to patch into regional Intel nodes
- An MP3 player loaded with Led Zepplin II, headphones and a joint.
The last item is in case my DB has failed me and the zombies are closing in. I will be enjoying the best record ever produced with that joint lit when the final blow hits me.